Our modern diet is highly acidic. For most people, the delicate balance of alkaline vs acidic foods sways heavily in favour of acid-forming foods.
The 80:20 Rule For Optimal Health
“To optimise our health, immunity and energy levels, the ideal balance of food intake is 80% alkaline, 20% acidic.”
~ Dr Robert Young
For optimal health and vitality, our ideal food intake is 80% alkaline and 20 % acid. This may sound complicated and hard to measure, but it’s simple to just remember this way: alkaline foods are fruits and vegetables, while acidic foods are most of the rest of our modern Western diet!
Alkaline Forming Foods:
- All fruits and vegetables!
Acid Forming Foods:
- Meat, chicken, fish,
- Milk, cheese,
- Bread, pasta, cereals, rice,
- Nuts, beans,
- Coffee, tea, alcohol, and
- Pastries, snack foods, soft drinks, packaged foods.
Try to make the bulk of each meal fresh, organic, fruits and/or vegetables, in particular the leafy green vegetables.
This is just a basic guide to make it less intimidating for you! If you would like a detailed list of where foods fit on the pH scale, in a format that you can print off and perhaps keep on your fridge, you can download our Acid vs Alkaline Food Chart here.
- In reality, it is often not really that easy to eat a diet of 80% alkaline forming foods. 80% is a LOT of veggies! And it’s even less easy to eat 80% certified organic alkaline foods! This is where a green superfood supplement can be extremely beneficial, to fill in dietary gaps and give you peace of mind that you are getting a decent serve of highly alkaline foods each and every day.
- Here’s a great video explanation of acid and alkaline and how to swing the balance more towards a healthy alkaline body.
- Chenery, Narelle (2011), Vitality Through Superfood Nutrition, Webinar recorded 25 August 2011.
- Challem, Jack, The pH Nutrition Guide to Acid/Alkaline Balance, See http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_acid_alkaline_pH_0.html, Accessed 23 September 2011.
To your health,
Awaken YOUR Natural Healthy Self.
Make a conscious choice between alkaline vs acidic foods.